Sunday, June 3, 2012

Outtake 1


This outtake is a big thank you to everyone who voted for WYiMA to obtain a spot in the Top Ten Fan Fics completed in July 2012. WYiMA managed to snag 9th place.

*Happy birthday Lorraine!*

Outtake: Takes place between Epilogue 1 and Epilogue 2. Enjoy!

************WYiMA************


Outtake 1
"Bob Roebuck is my sweetheart's name
He's off to the wars and gone
He's fighting for his Nannie dear
His sword is buckled on"


I could hear Izzy's sweet singin' as I come in from workin' the fields. It was soundin' from the direction of her vegetable garden. Through her efforts, we'd been treated to fresh butterbeans, squash, and black eyed peas all summer.

Henry let out a loud sigh as he walked beside me.



"Oh if in battle he was slain
I'm sure that I should die
but I'm sure he'll come again
And cheer my weeping eye
But should he fall
In this our glorious cause
He still would be my joy
For many a sweetheart mourns the loss
Of a Southern soldier boy"

"I cain't do it Ed," Henry said in a hoarse whisper, lookin' like he was in pain. "'Specially with her singin' that song."

"I reckon ya ain't got a choice, Henry." I said in a scoldin' tone. "That there gal is your sister, the closest thing ya still got to a Mam in this world, and she deserves to know what you're fixin' to do."

"I hope for the best
And so do all
Whose hopes are in the field
I know that we shall win the day
For Southerns never yield


And when we think
Of those who are away
We'll look above for joy
And I'm mighty glad
That my Bobby is
A Southern soldier boy"

"After supper," Henry answered afore goin' to wash up at the pump.

***WYiMA***

"Izzy, I need to have a word with ya." Henry finally spoke up just as we was fixin' to clear the table after the meal.

Izzy nodded, a curious look on her face. "As soon as I'm finished with the washin' up."

"Darlin'," I interrupted, "Why don't ya leave the washin' up to Theo and me, so's Henry can talk to ya."

Izzy looked downright confused. "What ya needin' to say, Henry?"

"Let's step out on the porch, Sister; I've got some right good news to share."

Izzy nodded, but didn't smile as she followed Henry outside.

"What ya think she's gonna do to him?" Theo asked as he helped stack the dishes to be washed.

"Well," I paused, settin' down the ones I was holdin' as I thought 'bout it. "I reckon she might horsewhip him." I said with a grin, causin' Theo to laugh loudly, "or I suppose she could tell him she's proud of him and maybe kiss his cheek. But that ain't gonna happen."

Theo didn't have a chance to say nothin' more, afore we heared Izzy hollerin' from the direction of the porch.

"You're fixin' to what?!" She yelled, the shrill sound of her voice makin' the hair on the back of my neck stand on end.

Oh Hell.

Me and Theo exchanged startled looks just as Jacob and Edward come scamperin' into the room and went to hide themselves under the table.

"Henry Swan," she was still yellin', "get that fool notion outta your head right now! Ya ain't joinin' the Yankee army!"

"I am, Izzy. I already done it." He answered; his voice almost as loud as hers.

The boy was either mighty brave or a whole lotta stupid.

"Then ya best go undo it."

"I cain't. I'm reportin' for duty in four days."

The dead silence that followed his statement was worse than the hollerin'. I leaned over, peekin' through the dinin' room doorway just in time to see Izzy walk back inside, Henry followin' close behind her.

My gal's head was hangin' down and I was fair certain that she was cryin'.

"Izzy, I ain't doin' this to upset ya." Henry was speakin' softly now.

She stopped and looked up at her brother, her eyes shinin' with tears. I wanted nothin' more than to wrap my arms around her in a comfortin' way, but I thought it best to let them sort this out.

"Henry, I thought ya was happy bein' a farmer." She asked in a sad voice.

"I am content, Izzy, but these last two years, I been spendin' time at the Fort, and I got a real hankerin' to be a soldier. I ain't gonna be happy 'til I see if it's the life for me."

Henry winced when Izzy give him a forlorn look. Out of the corner of my eye, I seen Theo gather up my young'uns and take 'em up the back stairs, where he was hopefully puttin' 'em to bed. They didn't need to witness their Mam's tears. No doubt they'd both start in to bawlin' as well.

"Henry, did ya ever think that some of them fellers was the same ones who maybe shot at our Pap durin' the war? They was tryin' to kill your own father, and ya's willin' to work side by side with 'em?"

"Izzy…" Henry said in a quiet voice.

"Alls I can say is I'm glad our Mam didn't live to see this day, for ya'd surely break her heart."

"Izzy, please…"

"I understand that as Christians we gotta be decent to our neighbors, even if they's Yankees, but this is goin' too far, Henry Swan."

"Izzy, it ain't like that…"

"And Ed, did ya ever stop to think 'bout my husband? He's been nothin' but good to you and Theo, and you're makin' friends with the fellers that shot him and his brother." Her voice was startin' to rise in anger again. "How could ya be so heartless and cruel?"

"I'll admit that Ed didn't like the idea at first," Henry tried to explain, "but it warn't on account of the other fellers bein' Yankees so much as he wanted to warn be 'bout how hard the life of a soldier could be…"

Henry's voice trailed off as he eyed Izzy warily. Her face had suddenly lost all expression, and she'd gone right pale as she continued to stare at her brother.

I stepped into the hall, movin' closer as I worried that she might be fixin' to faint right there on the spot.

As soon as she sensed the movement, she whipped her head in my direction and her eyes come alight with a burnin' fire that scorched a path straight across the floorboards to where I was standin'.

I knowed for certain and for sure that if looks coulda killed, I'd a been a dead man.

"Ed Cullen," I opened my eyes wide as I took in her murderous expression, "Ya knowed Henry was fixin' to do this?" Her voice was low and cold.

"Uh…"

"Ya knowed, and ya didn't talk him out of it?"

"Uh…"

"Ya knowed, and ya didn't think to mention it to your wife?"

I didn't try to answer; instead I swallowed a big gulp of air and glanced at the front door wonderin', if'n I was to run, how far I'd get afore Izzy would catch me.

Soon as she turned to glare at Henry again, I bolted for that door and, by the skin of my teeth, made it to the safety of the porch. I felt right bad leavin' Henry behind, but this was one of them situations where it was every man for hisself.

Once outside, I stared back through the open door, and Izzy was nowhere to be seen. Henry made his way outside to join me. "Where'd she go?" I asked him.

He shrugged, lookin' worried 'bout what she may be up to.

Izzy was a might unpredictable sometimes.

The thought crossed my mind then that maybe she'd gone to fetch the shotgun and I reckoned I had just enough time to reach the barn afore she was able to fire off a round or two.

She reappeared then, and I silently thanked the Lord that all she was clutchin' in her hands was the broom.

She stomped outside and swung that broom back afore whippin' it around 'til it landed hard against my backside.

"Ow!" I couldn't help but yell; I was that surprised.

"Get off my porch, Ed Cullen. Ya ain't allowed inside, nor out here neither. Not you, nor you Henry Swan. Get your sorry asses away from me." She turned toward Jack who was standin' in the yard watchin' the goin's on with interest.

I reckoned if he coulda, he'd a been laughin' at me.

I made sure to give him a dirty look.

"Come on inside, Jack. Ya can sleep on Ed's side of the bed."

"Izzy, what the hell ya on about? Jack ain't allowed in the house, and ya ain't lettin' that varmint sleep in my place."

"The hell I ain't." She narrowed her eyes and held up the broom like she was gonna hit me again.

I jumped down from the porch, followed right after by Henry, so's we'd be out of Izzy's swingin' range.

"What am I supposed to do Izzy?" I shoulda been ashamed for whinin' like a child, but I warn't.

"Ya'll can sleep with the pigs for all I care!" With them words, she turned her back on us and stormed into the house. I stood starin' at the door, my mouth fallin' open in surprise when I heared the sound of the bolt slidin' into place.

I turned to glare at Henry. "Here I am, a growned man, locked outta my own house, and it's all your fault."

"My fault?!" Henry protested. "You're the jackass that kept secrets from your wife."

"It warn't my tale to tell, and who ya callin' a jackass?" I reached up and smacked the back of his head.

Henry responded by smackin' my shoulder.

Afore I knowed what was happenin', we was both smackin' the daylights outta each other; that was until one of us decided to throw the first punch. I ain't gonna say who done it, but it warn't me.

When we'd had enough of bloodied lips and rollin' in the dirt, we both started in to laughin', and soon after that, with our arms restin' on each other's shoulders, we retreated to the barn.

It was too early to sleep, so I pulled out the bottle of whiskey I kept hidden in the hayloft and we took turns drinkin' it.

"Ya know, your sister's right don't ya?" I decided one last time to let Henry know what he was in for.

"Ed, don't start no shit with me." Henry was a might drunker than I was by that time.

"Not 'bout the Yankees so much, but 'bout this bein' a bad idea. Ya ain't never killed nobody, Henry. It ain't a easy thing to do, nor to live with after."

His shoulders slumped as he stared at the bottle in his hand. "Ya ain't gotta tell me, Ed. It was the thing that held me back from enlistin' a year sooner than I did. Not knowin' if I had it in me to take the life of another man. But, I reckon once I'm with them other fellers, and it's kill or be killed, I'll find the will to do what I have to."

I nodded, 'cause that was just 'bout the way of it for those of us in the army. Them fellers ya spend every day with, well, they get closer to ya than your own brothers sometimes, and when it comes to defendin' them or yourself, ya tended to act on instinct.

When the bottle was empty, me and Henry made our way back over to the house, still findin' the door locked against us.

I was feelin' no pain by that time, so I walked around the side, towards the back where our bedroom was. I spoke loud enough for Izzy to hear me through the window. "Izzy, ya know ya shouldn't be treatin' me this way. I'll give ya another few minutes to let me in afore I'm leavin'. I'd sooner go stay in town than sleep in the barn."

I waited for her to answer. When she didn't reply, I went back to the barn and saddled my horse. Henry did the same, and half an hour later found us ridin' up Main Street.

Somehow, Henry talked me into havin' a drink at the saloon afore goin' to the boardin' house.

One drink turned into, I cain't recall how many, but I reckoned this was the only sendoff he'd be gettin' afore he left.

The saloon was packed with locals and a few cowboys who'd just got off the trail, their pockets full of their take from a recent cattle drive. The whiskey was flowin' and cigars was bein' passed around left and right.
Some old feller was playin' the piano, and a couple of the bar gals was dancin' with the cow pokes.

We shared our news 'bout Henry's enlistment and congratulations sounded all 'round. One little gal who worked in the saloon made her way over to us, and seemed particularly interested in Henry, "Ya say you're joinin' up?"

"Yes, Ma'am," Henry answered. He warn't so drunk that he forgot to remove his hat.

"Ain't you sweet, my names Maeve and I certainly do love a man in uniform. How 'bout a dance soldier?"

"Well, I ain't a soldier yet…" Henry was stutterin' and his face turned red, puttin' me in mind of his sister.

Izzy.

I sure was missin' my Izzy.

That little gal commenced to gigglin' again and afore long she had Henry takin' her for a spin 'round the room. When they returned to the table, breathless and laughin', Henry sat down and that little gal plopped herself right down on his lap.

I reckon I looked almost as surprised as Henry at her forwardness, but I didn't have time to think on it afore another gal was sidlin' up to me, introducin' herself. "I'm Fannie," she telled me with a smile on her painted lips.

"How do." I answered, tryin' my best to be polite, drunk as I was.

When she placed her hand on my shoulder and let it slide down to my chest while she leaned in close, tryin' to speak into my ear, I sobered up right quick. 'Cause no matter what, I could never be drunk enough to forget I was a married man. And even though she mighta been mad enough to kill me, warn't no other for me, exceptin' my Izzy.

She owned me body and soul.

I reached up to push Miss Fannie's hand away, but afore I could, my attention was drawn by someone callin' my name. Even drunk, I knowed my wife's voice when I heared it.

I turned my head, and there she was, standin' in the doorway, her eyes trained on me. A beautiful, terrible vision she was as well; lovely and frightenin' all at the same time. It was the way I imagined that an avengin' angel would appear when sent by the Lord to smite the wicked.

She was glorious.

"Izzy," I whispered, as a drunken smile overtook my face.

Henry was so startled at the sight of his sister, that he jumped to his feet, dumpin' that little old gal, Maeve, straight onto the floor.

As he bent to help her up, Izzy commenced movin' toward us. It was then I noticed Emmett walkin' behind my wife, grinnin' from ear to ear like a fool.

"Don't ya say a word to me, Ed Cullen," Izzy snarled when she reached me, afore turnin' to face Miss Fannie, whose hand was still restin' on my chest. "And if'n ya know what's good for ya, you'll be removin' your hand from my husband."

I heared Miss Fannie snort out a laugh. "Seein' as it don't seem to be botherin' your husband, I reckon I'll keep my hand right where it is."

Keepin' my eyes fixed on Izzy, I reached up and pushed Miss Fannie's hand away just like I planned to do a moment afore. I could see Izzy fightin' a smile at my gesture.

"Get up off your hind parts, Ed. We's goin' home."

I obeyed her immediately, while the gal who'd been on Henry's lap took off; hidin' herself on the other side of the room.

Smartest thing she coulda done.

I threw some money down on the table as I wrapped my arm 'round Izzy's shoulders to lead her out.

"Ed and Henry, I'm a might hurt ya didn't ask me out drinkin' with ya," Emmett was smilin' so I knowed he warn't really hurt.

"Hush your mouth Emmett, and be thankful ya ain't in trouble like your brother."

Emmett laughed afore downin' what was left of me and Henry's drinks.

We hadn't reached the door afore Fannie shouted after us. "Maybe if ya was keepin' your man satisfied, he wouldn't need to go lookin' elsewhere."

At the sound of them words, the fire returned to Izzy's eyes, burnin' hotter than ever, as she turned to answer Fannie. "Well I reckon that's for him to say, if'n he's satisfied or not. Alls I know is that he's put three young'uns in me, and I suppose that counts for somethin'."

Three?

Fannie scoffed. "All that means is ya know how to breed."

I frowned at Fannie, she was dead wrong, and I aimed to tell her so. "Ain't no cause to go insultin' my wife like that Miss Fannie. Truth is this little gal here's the light of my life." I smiled down at my Izzy, and for the first time all night, she didn't look angry. The next words I spoke were true, but I knowed I never would a spoke 'em out loud if'n I'd been sober, "As for bein' satisfied, I don't know any man in all of Texas, maybe in all the world, who could be happier than I am. My Izzy gives me everythin' I need and more. Why, most nights I cain't get enough of bein' with her, it's like my body craves the feel of her warm skin against mine. The first time I seen her without her shift..."

"Ed!" Izzy exclaimed. I could hear Emmett laughin' but didn't pay neither of them no mind as I continued to speak, never takin' my eyes from Izzy's.

"I thought for sure she was one of them goddesses I heared tell 'bout in Greek mythology; all silky smooth skin and soft curves a man could lose hisself in…"

I didn't get to say another word afore Izzy's lips was coverin' mine, silencin' me. When she pulled back, I blinked several times as I felt the corner of my mouth pull up in a crooked smile.

"Ed, stop talkin', you're shamin' me in front of our brothers, ya drunken fool." The words shoulda come out angry, but her voice was soft and the smile on her lips telled me she warn't mad. Far from it.

"I love ya darlin'." I whispered.

"As I love you. Now let's get home."

"Get in the wagon, you two," Izzy demanded once we was outside. I looked over and was surprised to find me and Henry's horses hitched to the back of our wagon. I walked over to it, glad at the thought of bein' able to lie down.

Afore I did however, I grabbed my Izzy round the waist and pulled her toward me and away from the wagon, so's we was outta earshot of our brothers. "Ya ain't mad at me no more darlin'?"

She shook her head. "I reckon not."

She surprised me then by wrappin' her arms 'round my neck. "I missed ya in our bed."

I grinned down at her. "I reckoned ya was right upset, and I don't blame ya. But, ya have to understand that it warn't my place to tell ya Henry's business."

She nodded. "I understand, Ed. And I didn't mean all them things I said, 'bout Yankees, I was tryin' to think of anythin' that would keep him here. I finally got all my loved ones around me, and it hurts to think of losin' that." She sniffled as her eyes filled with tears.

"Oh darlin'," I pulled her against me. "Henry's a grown up man now, same age I was when I married ya. He's got to live his life. It don't mean he loves ya any less."

She nodded against my chest.

I chuckled then, rememberin' what she'd said to Miss Fannie. "I knowed ya warn't thinkin' straight when ya misspoke in there," I nodded toward the saloon.

"What ya on about, Ed?" Izzy asked, lookin' up at me with a curious expression.

I give her a wicked grin. "When ya telled Miss Fannie that I put three young'uns in ya. Last time I counted we only had the two boys. But we can work on changin' that if ya like." I thrust my hips against her so she'd understand my meanin'.

"Huh," Izzy grunted afore quirkin' her eyebrow at me. "I telled the truth in there Ed, and ya don't need to work on nothin'. The deed's done, and if this night hadn't turned out the way it did I'd a been able to tell ya a lot sooner that I'm expectin' again.

I couldn't help but laugh out loud. This was a night we was sure to remember for a long time to come. I picked up my wife and spun her around, "Ed," she gasped out a laugh, "for heaven's sake, don't make me dizzy."

I set her down, still holdin' her close. "I love ya so much my darlin'."

She give me a bright smile then. "I love ya the same. Let's get home, I've a mind to let ya see what's under my shift." She telled me with a giggle and a wink.

My smile got even wider at her words.

I climbed into the wagon and lay back lookin' up at the sky filled with stars. I reckoned then that it would be easier to count the twinklin' points of light overhead than to try and give a number to the many blessin's that my beautiful Izzy had brought to my life.

God knows, I was a fortunate man indeed.

************A/N*******************
A/N I know you thought Izzy was gonna bust a cap in Miss Fannie, or maybe a good cat fight would ensue. Sorry to disappoint. I reckon Izzy might of done so, if'n she warn't with child…. We'll never know. : )


The song Izzy sings in the beginning is titled 'The Southern Soldier Boy'. Kathy Mattea does a lovely version.

Back to writing my other stories….Hopefully you won't have to wait too much longer for the sequel to WYiMA to begin. The title will be "Into My Arms", keep an eye out for it.



No comments:

Post a Comment