**Note: Many thanks to RomaSweet18 for her beta work on this! You are the best my dear!
Enjoy!
**************WYiMA********************
Summary: It's been two years since Ed and Izzy made their eventful journey from Tennessee to Texas. It hasn't always been easy, but they've managed through love and hard work to carve out a life together in the old west.
*
"Ed," I heared Izzy's worried voice callin' me from the back of the house, "I think it's time."
She didn't need to utter another word. We'd been expectin' this for a while now. Today was the day that our family was fixin' to grow larger.
Normally this warn't the type of thing to get me worked up, but Izzy's nervousness over the event had been wearin' on me. Even so, I was still right much calmer than her. Matter of fact, knowin' the state she was in, it were fair certain that she warn't gonna be of any help to me.
When I walked into the lean-to off the back of the house, I found her sittin' on the floor wringin' her hands.
I bent down and took her hands in mine, pullin' her up to her feet, "Izzy, I got this darlin', why don't ya go make us some coffee." It was still the middle of the night, so coffee was necessary in order to stay awake.
"Ya certain ya don't need me?" She give me a sad look afore glancin' to where Dixie was lyin' on a blanket.
"I'll call ya if'n I do. Try to keep Jack from frettin', alright?"
She give me a quick nod and a worried smile afore leavin' the room. I sat down beside Dixie and petted her head while talkin' to her in a soothin' tone. "How ya doin' girl?" The way she was strainin', I knowed it warn't gonna be long afore the first pup arrived.
Whereas Jack was Izzy's dog, Dixie was mine because she come to me. She wandered into the field one day while I was workin', and never left. Seemed she must have belonged to somebody, as tame as she was, but I could never find no one to claim her. So, she was my dog from that day.
Funny thing 'bout critters, when givin' birth, they mostly do all the work themselves through pure instinct. I was there if'n Dixie needed me, mostly to cut the cords once the pups arrived, but she did most everythin' else.
"Ain't nothin' in the world like havin' young-uns, Dixie," I whispered while she strained. "They can be the most frustratin', nerve-wrackin' little things in the world. But they's also this little miracle sent from the Lord that's a part of ya."
Just then, as if in affirmation of what I'd said, I heared Jacob let out a holler from his cot. That child could go from calm and quiet, to screamin' like a banshee, with no warnin' whatsoever.
He may have had my hair and my features, but he had Izzy's eyes and her fire.
I knowed that Izzy would be busy with Jacob for a while yet, so I turned my attention back to Dixie.
Maybe it was the fact that I was witnessin' the bringin' of new life into the world, but my mind kept goin' back to that day a year afore when my boy was born.
*** Flashback ***
"I want Ed!"
I could hear my wife yellin' from our bedroom, while I paced the floor of the parlor. As soon as I heared the sound of her voice, I turned and started makin' my way toward her. A strong hand on my arm stopped me.
"Ed, ya cain't go in there."
"The Hell I cain't Emmett. She's callin' for me. Ya ain't gonna stop me!" I pulled my arm away and moved at a quick pace toward the closed bedroom door.
"Don't say I didn't warn ya, but those women are gonna throw ya out." Emmett's voice followed me down the hall.
I didn't bother to knock, after all it was our bedroom; Izzy's and mine. When I opened the door, I could feel the glares that Rosa and Mary Alice sent my way, but I was beyond carin'. As soon as my eyes lit on my girl, and I seen that she was sufferin', there warn't nothin' in this world that was gonna make me leave that room.
She was lyin' on her side, her skin flushed, while Rosa runned a wet cloth over her skin. Izzy looked over, and give me a pitiful smile. "Ed," she whispered. "the babe seems to be turned. Mary Alice says if I lie on my side it'll help."
I nodded and walked over 'til I was close beside the bed. Rosa studied me for a minute afore handin' me the cloth and basin. "Ya may as well be of some use."
I taked the cloth and wiped it over Izzy's forehead, afore bringin' it down to her neck. She shook her head, signin' me to stop. "Just sit and hold my hand, Ed. I wanna talk to ya."
I nodded and sat down in the chair beside the bed. She reached over and took my hand in hers.
"Ed," she whispered. From the corner of my eye, I seen Mary Alice and Rosa quietly slip out of the room. Izzy just lay there quiet like, watchin' me. The only sound I heared was the tappin' of the raindrops outside the window.
"It's cooler today," she said in a soft voice.
I nodded. It was a fair spring mornin', and I'd learned to appreciate the rain whenever we was blessed with it.
"Ed, I ain't said some things that need to be said."
My whole body froze as I waited for her to go on.
She squeezed my hand a little then, in a comfortin' way. "I didn't bring it up, 'cause I know how ya feel… but it's time. Matter of fact, I've almost left it too late."
My chest felt tight, and it was suddenly gettin' hard to breathe.
"Ed," Izzy whispered, her voice laced with worry. "I pray that it won't, but if somethin' happens, I don't want ya to grieve too sore."
No.
"Izzy, I cain't think on it." It was true. If I stopped to think, I'd recollect how things was when my Ma died. My Pa near drove himself to distraction at the thought of bein' without her…
I knowed if I lost my Izzy, it would be worse… so much worse…
As if she could read my mind, Izzy spoke. "I don't want ya to be like your Pa or my Pap, Ed. I want ya to live, especially if this little one makes it through."
I started shakin' my head back and forth, not willin' to give answer to the notion.
"Please, Ed. The babe is gonna need ya. Promise me."
I pressed my lips hard against her hand and closed my eyes. It was a known fact that I could refuse her nothin'. Afore I could form the words to answer, I took in a lungful of the cool air blowin' in through the open windows.
"I'll promise if'n ya promise somethin'. For me."
"What is it?"
I opened my eyes and looked into hers. "Ya gotta promise to try your hardest not to leave me Izzy."
She nodded too quickly, and I stopped her.
"No, Izzy. Ya gotta make a solemn promise that ya ain't gonna leave me. Even if everythin' in ya is tellin' ya to give up, I want ya to keep fightin'." I wiped a tear from my cheek. "Ya gotta find strength ya didn't know ya had, Izzy. Please…" I was lettin' the desperation I felt inside sound in my voice.
She reached her free hand up and stroked the side of my face, wipin' away another tear. "I promise ya, Ed."
Izzy kept her promise.
There was a time, after Mary Alice and Rosa was able to turn the babe that I thought Izzy's strength was goin' to fail. I made sure to stay right beside her and every time she seemed to weaken, she'd turn to me, squeeze my hand, and get a look of determination on her face.
Finally, after a long, painful struggle, our son, our little Jacob named for my best friend, come into the world, hollerin' from the moment he took his first breath.
*** End of flashback ***
I sat back and smiled as Dixie nursed her pups. In the end, she'd birthed four. After they was cleaned up, I telled her with a laugh that she was lucky that only one of them took after Jack. I went outside to wash up and look for Izzy. She warn't far.
"Is it over?" she asked anxiously as she walked over to me with a laundry basket in her arms, and Jacob in a sling tied 'round her waist. I taked the basket from her. "It is. Four pups, all fit and nursin' as we speak."
She didn't say another word afore callin' Jack and skippin' toward the lean-to. As soon as she set Jacob on the floor, he reached up to me. "Pap!"
It was as hard to deny him, as it was to deny his Mam, so I picked him up and made my way over to Izzy. "Pap, Pap, Pap…" he babbled as he placed his hand on my cheek, earnin' a smile from his 'Pap'. I rubbed my hand over his reddish brown curls afore kissin' his round little cheek.
"Oh, Ed, I love 'em!" Izzy was almost squealin' as she watched the pups. She turned to smile at me and raised an eyebrow when she seen me holdin' Jacob.
"He's never gonna take his first step if'n ya pick him up every time he asks." It was true. Izzy was always fussin' at me for not lettin' Jacob alone when we was in the house. He was afeared of walkin' without holdin' on to somethin', and I knowed it was my fault.
"I cain't seem to tell him no." I admitted with a grin.
Izzy smiled and shook her head. "I suppose I wouldn't love ya as much, if'n ya could," She telled me afore walkin' over and kissin' me softly on the lips.
Jacob laughed and patted his Mam's cheek with his little hand. Izzy turned her head and captured his fingers in her mouth, playin' like she was bitin' him, earnin' squeals of laughter from our son.
***WYiMA***
Watchin' Izzy with Jacob made it hard to recall a time when we didn't have him with us. But the truth was he warn't yet a year old. And months before he come, Emmett and Rosa's little girl had arrived, preparin' us for what life was like with a newborn babe in the house.
The day she was born, and I heared Rosa screamin' from their bedroom like a cat on fire, I almost abandoned my brother and run off to work in the fields.
But knowin' how the memory of the day we lost Ma was likely eatin' at him, I couldn't, in good conscience, leave him by himself to face the unknown.
True to her promise, my Izzy stuck by Rosa and helped Mary Alice bring little Maria Sofia Cullen into the world. That child was a beauty to behold, with her dark hair, like her Ma, and bright blue eyes, like her Pa, and I made sure to tease my brother 'bout the day he'd have to fight the beaus off with a stick.
Emmett turned a little green at the thought, but was soon occupied with holdin' his daughter and softly kissin' her downy hair. In true Emmett fashion, he decided that Maria Sofia was too big a mouthful for so tiny a child, and she became Sophie from that day on.
***WYiMA***
"Where's Jacob?" I asked as soon as Izzy appeared in the doorway to the barn where I'd pulled the wagon inside to unload it.
"Rosa took him to her house so's I could help ya. I'm countin' on him bein' wore out after playin' with Sophie, and maybe he'll sleep better tonight."
Jacob was cuttin' teeth and had been givin' us fits durin' the night. So much so, that by afternoon we was both draggin' at our chores.
"Izzy, ya do enough, ya don't need to be doin' my work to boot."
"Hush, Ed. I'll help ya, then you'll be done sooner and we can both have a rest."
We worked in silence, and afore I knowed it, the lumber and feed was stacked against the wall, the wagon was empty, and it warn't yet suppertime. Izzy's smile was wide as she climbed back up in the wagon.
"Izzy, what ya doin?"
"Do ya ever miss it, Ed?" She asked, ignorin' my question.
"Miss what?"
"Travellin' in the wagon; sleepin' under the stars," she said with a faraway look in her eyes.
"Sometimes," I telled her.
She looked sad as she traced her hand along the wagon seat afore sittin' down on it.
"I reckon we could always pull it out of the barn and spend the night in it." I said as I climbed up to sit beside her. "But I guarantee you'd be missin' our bed afore mornin'."
She giggled. "I'm sure that's true." She smiled and wrapped her arms around my middle. "It was excitin' though warn't it?"
"A might too excitin' at times Izzy." I frowned as I thought about the near misses we'd had afore reachin' Texas.
She nodded and sat against me, quiet like for a spell.
"Rosa brought a letter from Tennessee back from the tradin' post this mornin'. It was from Renie Black." Izzy had been correspondin' with Jacob's wife since they got hitched.
I looked down at her. "What did she have to say?"
Izzy bit her lip. "Well, ya know how she's best friends with your old flame Ellie's sister, Sarah?"
"I wish ya wouldn't call her my old flame. Ellie ain't nothin' to me, past, present, or future."
"Ed, no matter what ya say, she was still part of your life."
I let out a huff and crossed my arms over my chest.
Izzy giggled and looped her arm through one of mine, makin' me relax 'em a bit.
"Anyways, Sarah telled Renie that Ellie is fair miserable in her marriage. It seems that her husband treats her like a child, and not like the woman of the house."
I frowned, not because I cared anythin' 'bout Ellie, but 'cause I didn't like to hear 'bout any woman bein' treated as such.
"He makes her call him Mister Hatcher, even when they's alone. Even when they's in bed." She whispered the last part and I could tell she was tryin' not to laugh. "Not that they share the same bed often, accordin' to Sarah."
"Shame on ya, Isabella Cullen," I said, decidin' to tease her, "Warn't ya the one who got right indignant at the thought of menfolk gossipin' 'bout marital relations. And now you're listenin' to womenfolk doin' the same thing."
Her mouth fell open and a look of shame settled on her features. As I studied her, I couldn't help but let out the laugh I'd been holdin' inside.
That's when she narrowed her eyes at me. "Ed Cullen, stop your teasin'. I try my best to be a good Christian woman, but I cain't seem to help the feelins I get when I think of that woman ya used to be sweet on." She said afore turnin' away and glarin' at the far wall.
That wouldn't do.
"I like it when you're jealous darlin'," I telled her while pullin' her against me and kissin' her on the nose. "Makes things right excitin'."
She frowned at me afore pushin' me away. "I don't like feelin' that way Ed, and I'm thinkin' I should punish ya for your teasin'."
I laughed louder then. "Punish me? I'd like to see that." I was still grinnin' when she jumped from the seat and stood over me, then she moved her legs 'til she was straddlin' my lap, and sat right down.
God's truth, all the air left my body in a single breath, I was that surprised.
Izzy reached her hand down and started rubbin' me through the front of my trousers. "I ever tell ya how much I like it when ya don't wear drawers?"
My mouth fell open, but it was hard to answer while her fingers was goin' to town on my pecker.
I leaned forward and kissed her sweet lips. "Izzy, ya is a wicked woman…" I managed to choke out.
"Hush and take your punishment." She grinned afore undoin' the front of my trousers.
As soon as she'd freed me from my prison, my pecker stood up straight and tall, hopin' the punishment didn't involve leavin' him unattended.
I needn't have worried 'cause my Izzy liked our joinin' just as much as I did.
I was a very fortunate man.
She stood up, still straddlin' me, and lifted her dress 'til it was up 'round her hips. I gritted my teeth when I felt her hand wrap 'round my pecker. "I ain't wearin' no drawers neither, and I been wantin' to do this all day," She whispered afore kissin' me hard and slidin' down, guidin' me with her hand, 'til I was all the way inside her.
As if the feel of Izzy surroundin' me warn't enough, she had to go and let out a little moan. I threw my head back and squeezed my eyes shut to keep from explodin'. "Girl, some day ya's gonna be the death of me," I telled her once I was able to speak again.
She smiled and touched her tongue to my lips, afore bitin' the bottom one.
Such a wicked woman...
After that, she rose up and slid down again, and I was the one moanin'. I reached up under her frock with both hands and grabbed onto her hips. Her skin was so soft, and she'd gotten a might rounder since birthin' Jacob. I loved nothin' more than runnin' my hands over her soft bare flesh, and Izzy took pleasure in my doin' it. I wondered if there'd ever come a time where we'd have our fill of each other.
It warn't likely.
"Oh Izzy," I said into her ear as she rocked against me. "I love ya so…"
"I feel right strongly 'bout ya as well Mister Cullen," she telled me with a giggle, and the vibrations comed close to sendin' me over the edge. I gasped out loud at the feelin', and I knowed it wouldn't be long.
"Ya was made for me," I murmured into her hair, 'cause it was the God's honest truth.
I needed to touch more than just her hips, but there was no way I was gonna get the bodice of her frock undone without tearin' it, so I reached around and grasped her buttocks, grabbin' the flesh with both hands and usin' the strength of my arms to hurry her movements.
"Oh, oh!" she called as I felt her whole body startin' to quiver as her warmth closed tight 'round me. "Ed, oh, oh!" I watched her flushed face as she kept rockin' hard against me and made sure to keep thrustin' up to meet her as long as I could.
"Izzy," I moaned when I couldn't hold on any longer. She was moanin' right along with me, both of us a hot sweaty mess as we went over the edge together. It rarely happened at the same moment, but when it did, it was the sweetest feelin' of release imaginable.
We fell against each other then, my head restin' on her shoulder, and Izzy's arms draped loosely around me.
"God knows now I must truly be a good Christian woman," Izzy panted out.
I turned my head, still breathin' hard, in order to look at her face; her hair was messy and stuck to her forehead where she was perspirin'. "Izzy, you're the best Christian I know, but what are ya on about?"
"I must be a good Christian after all, 'cause I'm feelin' sorry for Ellie Hatcher."
I frowned, not understandin' her and not wantin' to think 'bout Ellie while I was joined with my wife. Izzy, reactin' to the look I was givin' her, spoke again, "Knowin' what I know 'bout her, she ain't never gonna feel what I do when ya hold me in your arms, and love me." She bit her lip as she thought. "So, I reckon there's no room for jealousy in my heart when what I'm feelin' now is pity."
"Izzy, there's lots of folks don't have what we do. " I said afore swiftly kissin' her lips.
"'Tis true," she smiled softly afore squirmin' on my lap, causin' my pecker to come to life again.
Izzy's eyes opened wide as she smiled, "Oh my. Mister Cullen, I reckon you're what's referred to as insatiable."
"Missus Cullen, I see you've added another one of them five dollar words to your vocabulary."
"Cain't help that I like to read," she brushed her lips against mine afore she started rockin' her hips back and forth. And so began round two…
***WYiMA***
For days, Izzy had been watchin' the road leadin' to our place like a hawk. Just after supper one evenin' as we sat on the porch relaxin' with Jacob, she stood in a quick hurry, throwin' her sewin' aside, and let out a squeal.
"They's here Ed! Oh, Ed, they's finally here!" She screamed, startlin' Jacob and makin' him cry, afore takin' off like a shot, headed straight for the wagon that was lumberin' up the road toward us.
I picked up Jacob and we lit out after her. By the time we reached the wagon, it was stopped and Izzy was up on it with her arms wrapped tight 'round the necks of the two fellers seated there.
Her little body was shakin' and I could tell she was cryin' for all she was worth. "I feared I'd never see ya again," she whispered while her brothers wrapped their arms around her. They was all three cryin' tears of joy, and I was surprised to feel a tear trail down my own cheek as well while I watched 'em.
When she finally got done huggin' her brothers, Izzy picked up the corner of her apron and wiped the tears from her eyes, afore one of her brothers stepped from the wagon and turned to help her down. The other one followed after.
Izzy clasped a hand from each of them into her own and turned to face me. "Henry, Theo, this here's my husband Ed, and our boy, Jacob," She smiled brightly.
Izzy laughed when she realized she was holdin' tight onto their hands, and needed to let go so's I could shake 'em. Henry, the one just a year younger than Izzy was tall, almost as tall as me. He had the brown eyes of his sister, but his hair was a might lighter than Izzy's. Theo was four years younger than Izzy and his eyes and hair was darker than hers. He also had a complexion that was a little darker as well.
As I studied him, I thought how he looked more kin to Jake Black than Izzy, and I figured it was the Cherokee blood makin' it so.
Emmett and Rosa come over to help unload the wagon, and with so many hands we made short work of the chore. Izzy cried again as she unpacked a crate that held her Ma's handwork, and another that contained her dishes; but the thing that made her cry the most was her Ma's rockin' chair. She had me set it in the front parlor, directly in front of the window and commenced to rockin' as happy tears trailed down both her cheeks.
Jacob took an instant likin' to both his uncles, and as soon as he realized that walkin' would let him follow them around easier, we never had another moment's hesitation from him. Walkin' soon become runnin' and that led to fallin' down. A lot.
He was clumsy, but happy, 'cause there was always someone there to pick him up, and wipe away his tears.
We had a good life, and a happy one. Our family was all close by now, and Texas was comin' back from the war full tilt, so we was prosperin'.
I soon found out that Izzy's brothers were good, hard-workin' boys and with their help I knowed we'd be able to grow more wheat the followin' year.
Life seemed perfect until, at the end of the summer, there arrived somethin' new to fret about.
It all started when Izzy warn't actin' like herself. She had a worried look on her face most days, and sometimes, in the evenin', I would find her sittin' alone in the dark, just rockin' in her Ma's chair. She warn't happy or excited 'bout anythin' and all the light seemed to have left her eyes.
Everythin' come to a head when I woke durin' the night to find her weepin' beside me. I pulled her close and kissed her hair. "Izzy, if'n ya don't tell me what's ailin' ya, I'm gonna lose my mind."
"It ain't nothin' Ed."
"Don't lie to me darlin'. Ya ain't been yourself for days now. Ya pretend in front of the others, but ya cain't hide from me." I smoothed her hair back from her face afore kissin' her softly on the lips. "Please Izzy." I warn't above beggin' where she was concerned.
She looked up at me with her big beautiful eyes. "I'm expectin'," was all she said.
I just kept starin' at her, dumbfounded.
Izzy let out a breath and buried her face in my chest.
"That's why ya been upset?" I asked.
She nodded against me and I commenced to rubbin' her back.
"Why darlin'?"
"Last time… with Jacob… I reckon I'm just scared is all. I'm not ready to leave ya."
"Oh Izzy." I got choked up thinkin' 'bout how close I come to losin' her last time, "I'm so sorry darlin'. I try to stay away, I truly do, but it's near impossible…"
"Ed, don't ya start apologizin'. Ya ain't never forced yourself on me." She put her hand on my cheek in a comfortin' way. "I crave it same as you. I reckon I should be surprised that it ain't happened sooner."
I leaned into her. Rememberin' how things was with Jacob, I could feel a knot of worry formin' in my stomach. Despite that, there was somethin' holdin' me back from despairin' over our situation. "Darlin' I don't think the good Lord would've seen us through all the trials we've faced together, only to have us part now."
She looked up at me, snifflin'. "Ya truly believe that?"
I nodded. "I ain't got any proof, but I feel the truth of it in my heart." I wrapped my arms tighter around her. "I reckon He knows better'n anyone that I cain't bear to be without ya."
She smiled then, and I felt her relax against me. There was no sleep for us that night, both needin' the comfort that only joinin' together could bring. I made sure through whispered words and soft caresses that Izzy knowed exactly how much she meant to me.
She was my whole world.
Each day after that, I set aside some time durin' which I'd have a word or two with the Lord. First off, I'd thank Him for His many blessin's, namely Izzy, Jacob, and the new babe set to arrive at the end of winter.
Then I would spend a little time remindin' Him how I couldn't spare 'em.
Not one of 'em. But most especially my Izzy.
A wise man knows his strengths and his weaknesses, and when I pondered havin' to spend all the rest of my lonely days without my Izzy, the thought alone liked to crush my soul to dust.
I had no desire to live the life of Job even if it guaranteed me a place in heaven, and I made sure to tell that to the Man upstairs.
He must have been listenin', for Izzy was easily delivered of our second son a week afore her nineteenth birthday.
I stayed with her the whole time, just like afore, but this birth was different. Our Edward, for she insisted on namin' him that 'cause he looked so much like me, gave his mother not a bit of trouble neither afore, durin', nor after his birth.
"We got two strong boys, Ed. I reckon we gotta keep tryin' for that girl." Izzy give me a mischievous smile as she held the babe.
I knelt down beside the bed and took her hand afore kissin' it. "Ya ain't scared?"
She shrugged. "A woman would be a fool to not be scared when givin' birth, but I'm not gonna waste time worryin' needlessly. Besides, I reckon we make beautiful babies. Maybe that's our callin'." She said with a twinkle in her eye.
I raised an eyebrow and give her a sly look afore leanin' in and touchin' my lips to hers. "My darlin', I'm not opposed to doin' my duty and spendin' every wakin' moment on the makin' of more babies with ya."
Izzy laughed. "Keep them pants on for a few more weeks yet, Mister Cullen. I didn't say I wanted to start today."
I laughed with her then and stared down at my new son, asleep against his mother's breast.
Edward
Our little Jacob and Edward would never be known as Jake and Ed. Izzy had said that they needed strong names to be able to endure life in the West, so we'd be callin' 'em by their full Christian names always.
Our life together was a good one, far better than what I ever could have hoped for when I set out from Robertson County Tennessee almost three years afore, and it was Izzy's love that had made all the difference.
No comments:
Post a Comment