Sunday, June 24, 2012

Chapter 73


Just like me, Izzy seemed most suited to life on a farm. Well, I reckon she'd be at home anywhere there was critters to tend to. I got particular joy outta watchin' her, whether she was feedin' the chickens or milkin' a cow.
She'd talk to 'em like they was people; same way she talked to Jack.
"She's one of a kind, Ed." I heared Rosa say quietly from beside me as I watched Izzy stop to pet Jack on her way to the kitchen carryin' her basket of eggs.
I turned to look at Rosa and found her studyin' me. I nodded, "That she is."

Rosa smiled then. "I know ya treasure her, you're a good man, like your brother." I noticed that Rosa's hand went to rest on her belly, and it occurred to me that I couldn't wait 'til Izzy grew round with our child, so's the world would know our good news.
"Rosa, when I was unpackin' I found a letter ya wrote to Pa. I want ya to know that I didn't read it, but I was fair certain ya would want it back."
I watched as her eyes filled with her tears. "I wrote him right after me and Emmett married. It was mostly to thank him for raisin' Emmett to be the fine man he is. It doesn't surprise me that he didn't share it with ya. He was such a private man." She wiped her eyes afore continuin'.
"Ya can read it if ya like, but I suppose I should like to keep it." She said afore growin' quiet, and I turned my attention back to Izzy who was now laughin' and lettin' that silly dog lick all over her face.
***WYiMA***
"That book must be mighty interestin'," I heared my wife's sweet voice and I turned from my journal to see her freshly bathed, wearin' only her shift, and crawlin' into bed.
I smiled at her and closed my journal afore crossin' the room to take my place beside her. "That there journal is filled with tales of a beautiful gal with dark hair, and dark eyes that hold just enough fire in 'em to bewitch a man." She giggled as I pulled her against me. "I'm fair certain I ain't been the same since the day I met her."
"Aren't ya pinin' for the way things was afore, Ed? Maybe wishin' ya was single again, instead of tied down for the rest of your days?" She was smilin' while sayin' the words, so I knowed she was teasin'.
I laughed. "No Ma'am. I never wanna go back. I'll gladly stay shackled to ya and this life forever my darlin'."
That was the night I give her permission to read my journal if'n she had the desire.
It was a good long while afore she took me up on the offer.

No comments:

Post a Comment