Sunday, May 13, 2012

The Future - Part 2



Spring, 1882
Today marked a year since we'd laid my nephew, Joseph Cullen, to rest.
In many ways, the time that passed seemed longer. So much can happen in a year, good and bad; thankfully the Lord seen fit to spare us more of the bad.
For now.
Blest be the tie that binds
our hearts in Christian love;
the fellowship of kindred minds
is like to that above.
Izzy's voice never sounded more beautiful than it did as we stood 'round the grave, rememberin' the little angel who warn't never far from our thoughts.

Before our Father's throne
we pour our ardent prayers;
our fears, our hopes, our aims are one,
our comforts and our cares.
We share each other's woes,
our mutual burdens bear;
and often for each other flows
the sympathizing tear.
I glanced at the faces of family and friends gathered together: Emmett, Rosa and their young'uns; Izzy and ours; Jasper standin' quiet and serious like always with his arm 'round Mary Alice, while she held the hand of their daughter; and lastly, my eyes fell upon Theo and standin' beside him, the gal he was courtin', Martha.
When we asunder part,
it gives us inward pain;
but we shall still be joined in heart,
and hope to meet again.
I felt my brother's arm drape across my shoulders and turned to find him wipin' at his eyes with his handkerchief.
This glorious hope revives
Our courage by the way;
While each in expectation lives,
And longs to see the day.
From sorrow, toil, and pain,
And sin, we shall be free;
And perfect love and friendship reign
Through all eternity.
"Ya got a voice that was heaven sent, Izzy" Rosa give my wife a hug afore wipin' the tears from her own eyes.
"Thank ya Rosa, I wanted to sing my very best for Joseph."
"That ya did, darlin'." Emmett telled her afore sweepin' her into a hug of his own.
"Careful, brother." Obviously Emmett needed a reminder 'bout Izzy's delicate condition.
He grinned at me and give my shoulder a nudge. "I'm bein' careful. Ed, I swear you'd think this here was your first instead of your sixth, the way ya carry on."
Izzy laughed the hardest at what he'd said.
I didn't find no humor in it.
If nothin' else, the last year had taught me to cherish them that I loved most, and that began with Izzy. Along with the cherishin' I'd discovered that my natural tendency to worry 'bout her and the young'uns had increased tenfold.
It was the feelin' of bein' helpless that liked to eat me up inside.
When I learned that Izzy was expectin' again, I reckon I went a little crazy. She'd been patient with me, said she understood; and telled me it was the way of things after a loss.
"When my Mam died, I couldn't bear for my Pap or brothers to be outta my sight. The fear of somethin' happenin' to them, and me not bein' able to stop it was all consumin' for a time." She telled me in a soft, carin' voice, "Alls I can say Ed, is to put your trust in Him that knows your every care. We warn't never meant to be happy every day in this life," she run her fingers through my hair while speakin', "although, if heaven is better than the life I have here with you and our young'uns, it must be glorious indeed."
I pressed my lips to hers. "I cain't imagine nothin' better'n the life I have with you, Izzy. And I hope to earn the right to be with ya in the hereafter."
She grinned afore layin' her head upon my shoulder, "Sweet talker."
After visitin' Joseph's grave, all our friends and family walked the short distance to the field beside the pond for a picnic. It was a right beautiful day and, after we'd eaten our fill, I relaxed beside Izzy and surveyed the scene afore me. It was rare to have a moment like this one, and I was learnin' to appreciate 'em more and more.
My three oldest boys was fishin' in the pond with their cousin, while Peter ran along behind 'em playin' fetch with Young Jack. Sophie and the little gals was off in the meadow, pickin' wildflowers, and I could see Theo and Martha takin' a stroll on the far side of the pond.
It was hard to believe that Sophie and my eldest, Jacob was now fourteen years old.
Where had the years gone?
"These young'uns are growin' like weeds; makes me feel old," I said to no one in particular.
"Speak for yourself," Emmett answered. I turned to see him grinnin' from ear to ear.
Lord knows it was good to see him smilin' again. We'd suffered through many months without the sight of it.
I chuckled, not able to help myself, and reached over to rest my hand on Izzy's protrudin' belly. I was rewarded with a kick to my palm, courtesy of our new son or daughter. I laughed outright at the feel of it, and leaned in to kiss my wife, just below her ear.
Izzy warn't normally comfortable with such displays in public, but we was with family, and those that warn't related by blood may as well have been. "I reckon I don't feel all that old." I admitted. Izzy smiled and covered my hand with one of her own.
Just then, I caught sight of my brother, stealin' a kiss from his wife, bringin' a blush rarely seen to her cheeks. Even Jasper seemed in an affectionate mood as he rubbed his hand over Mary Alice's back in a soothin' fashion.
A loud peal of laughter drew my attention, and I turned to see Molly runnin' toward us, all the other little gals followin' close behind. "I picked these for ya, Mam," a bright smile lit up her little face as she handed a bunch of daisies to Izzy.
My wife took the flowers and pulled our daughter onto her lap. "They are beautiful, little girl. I reckon this here's the best gift I ever got."
Molly giggled as her Mam smothered her face with kisses.
The near identical scene was playin' out on either side of where we sat as first little Bella and then Rosa's three gals gifted flowers to their mothers as well.
I seen Izzy smilin' when Mary Alice pulled Bella down to sit beside her, knowin' that there warn't no room on her lap. Rosa did likewise with her little gals.
I sighed and shook my head thinkin' 'bout the fact that for the first time ever, Rosa, Izzy and Mary Alice was all with child at the same time. To be honest, it was both a marvel and a worry for their poor husbands, me included.
Every night I prayed that all three would deliver safely, and silently added the hope that those babes didn't get the notion to enter this world together.
I didn't relish the thought of deliverin' my young'un without help, and that no-count doctor warn't never settin' a foot in my house again.
Izzy tried to assure me over and over that it warn't likely to happen that way, 'specially since Rosa and Mary Alice was closer to their time than she was, but babes was known for comin' at a time of their own choosin', not their parents'.
As soon as Molly seen Sophie and her sisters rise from the blanket their Ma and Pa was sittin' on, she stood up, intendin' to chase after them.
"Hey, where's my kiss," I asked with a pout afore she was able to run off.
My little angel turned to face me and giggled, "I sorry Pap, I forgot," she said sweetly while her fingers toyed with the collar of my shirt.
I placed my hand over my heart, like I'd been wounded. "Molly, how can ya forget your old Pap? I count on them kisses little gal."
Her green eyes grew wide with alarm as she threw her arms 'round my neck and hugged me somethin' fierce. Afore she pulled away, I felt soft lips press against my cheek.
And then, as she always did, my little darlin' grabbed my mangled hand and left a sweet kiss there as well.
"Ya be awright if'n I go now?" She asked with a worried look.
I nodded.
She held one little finger in the air, "I be back soon, I pwomise. If'n ya need more kisses, ya ask Mam while I gone."
I didn't even turn to look at my brother, but I sure enough heard his boomin' laughter.
"I'll do that baby girl."
She give me a smile that liked to melt my heart, and went to join the others.
"So, y'all come to an agreement 'bout Pete's schoolin' yet?" My brother asked, once he'd stopped his laughin'.
Trust Emmett to bring up the subject I had no desire to discuss.
The question of whether or not my son was goin' away to school, was one that Izzy and me was in disagreement over.
In the year since Peter had lost his hearin', we'd seen three different doctors, all with the same result, the damage done by the fever was too great to be undone. Our boy was gonna be deaf for the remainder of his life.
After we'd shed tears and consoled one another, Izzy, with the help of Mary Alice, made inquiries 'bout a school for the deaf in Austin. Trouble was, if Peter was to attend, he'd have to stay there a good portion of the year, and I couldn't bring myself to part with any of my children.
"After he's seen me safely delivered of this babe," Izzy spoke while rubbin' her hand across her belly, "Ed's goin' on the train to that school and he's gonna see for hisself that it's the best thing for Peter."
"Izzy, we been over this," I said as I ran a hand across my brow, "It's too far away. That little feller won't know what to do without us."
"Ed, he was so young when the fever struck that he don't even know his letters." Izzy spoke in a calm voice, tryin' to make me see things her way, "A whole year has passed in which he's learned nothin'. That school can teach him everythin' he'd a learned if'n he'd never lost his hearin'."
"He's too young to go all that way. Cain't we wait a year or two?"
"Ed, ya remember what the letter said. The sooner Peter can start; the better it will be for him."
I hung my head, not wantin' to think on it.
"Ed," I turned to find Emmett lookin' toward where our young'uns was playin', all signs of humor gone from his face. "take a good look at your son."
My eyes found Peter, sittin' in the grass, Young Jack sprawled out beside him.
"Don't tell me ya haven't noticed how he keeps to hisself and won't play with the others. And it ain't on account of him missin' my boy."
I fought against the pain in my chest, knowin' the truth of his words.
"He knows he's different Ed, and your denyin' it, ain't gonna change a thing." Izzy laid her hand on my forearm while Emmett continued. "If'n I was in your place, and that was my Joseph, I'd move heaven and earth to do right by him."
I drew in a shaky breath and swallowed back the lump in my throat. "I've been a very selfish man."
"No, Ed." Izzy argued. "Ya just love with your whole heart. Ain't nothin' wrong with that."
I cleared my throat and give her a hug. "Thank ya for bein' patient with me, sweet girl."
"I should be sayin' the same to you every day," she answered with a playful smile.
I turned to face my brother. "Ya reckon after these babes get here, ya mayhap be willin' to accompany me to Austin so's we can see this school firsthand?"
"I'll be lookin' forward to it." He said as he gimme a slap on the shoulder.
"Easy," I smiled and rubbed at the spot where he'd hit.
"Sorry little brother." The look on his face telled me he warn't sorry in the least.
"As much as I hate to interrupt y'all," the urgent tone in Rosa's voice got everyone's attention, "Emmett, I'm gonna need ya to help me up and then I'm gonna need ya to get me home. This babe don't want to wait another day to meet his Pa."
The fearful expression on my brother's face was almost comical but I didn't dare smile knowin' that, afore long it'd be my turn again.
*****************A/N***************
One more future take to go and then I'll be asking y'all to be patient as I finish some other stories in order to begin writing the sequel, Edward and Bella's story: "Into My Arms".

No comments:

Post a Comment