Sunday, May 20, 2012

The Future - Part 1


Because I love the 'drabble-ish' feel of this story, I wanted to continue that. Therefore, I've split the Future Take into 3 parts. 

**Angst ahead. Tissue warning for part 1

Enjoy!

*****************WYiMA****************

The Future, Part 1

Spring, 1881

My Ma always used to say that the Good Lord warn't never gonna send ya a cross greater than ya was fit to bear.

As I stood beside the slumped form of my brother, my hand on his shoulder offerin' what comfort I could, I doubted those words for the first time in my life.

Scarlet fever was the name of the demon that come and stole little Joseph from the lovin' arms of his Ma and Pa, leavin' Emmett to weep over the grave of his youngest child.



After the priest done said his piece, I'd sent everyone else back home. Emmett needed to grieve, and I reckoned he didn't want none of his other young'uns, nor mine neither to bear witness to the sight.

It was a good long while afore his tears run dry. For a time after that, I sat beside him on the grass, both of us lost in silent contemplation.

It was a bitter pill, havin' to give one of your own back to the Lord. A pill I'd never had to swallow myself, and prayed I never would.

Little Joseph had only been with us for four short summers, but that child had taken up a special place in everyone's heart. He was a happy go lucky little feller, and there warn't a day went by that he didn't have a smile on his sweet face; so much like his Pa in every way.

"Ed, ya know all them books that our Pa was so fond of porin' over when we was small?" He shook his head to clear his thoughts. "Course ya know, ya got half the lot at your house, just like I got the rest at mine…" He stopped to take in a shudderin' breath. "I reckon ya could search them books and find the saddest story ever recorded inside, and the sorrow them folks was feelin' couldn't touch what I'm carryin' now."

I could feel my own eyes brimmin' with tears at his words.

"I finally understand what it's like to have my heart broke in two."

I swallowed back the lump in my throat. "Brother, ya gotta pull yourself together for the sake of your wife. She's gonna need ya to be her strength in the time ahead."

I watched as he nodded slowly.

"Ya got other young'uns to care for as well, two of 'em lyin' abed with the same sickness that's already done took too much."

He turned toward me, the worried look he'd been wearin' for days returnin' to his face. "I gotta get back." He pushed up from the ground and stood on shaky legs. I stood and grabbed ahold of his shoulder to steady him. "My little gals is sick, Ed. I gotta get back to the house."

There'd be time later to grieve Joseph's passin'. The way I seen it, that little feller was at peace in the arms of his Granny in heaven.

It was the livin' that needed our attention now.

Truth be told, Rosa and Izzy never made it to the funeral. Rosa wouldn't leave the side of her sick little gals, and Izzy wouldn't leave Rosa.

Emmett and Rosa's two eldest, Sophie and Alexander, had been spared the fever, as had all of mine, but Emmett's other daughters, Elena and little Esmeralda, had been laid low with it, even afore Joseph had begun ailin'.

When the fever come upon him, it was swift and merciless. Despite the best efforts of his Ma, Izzy and Mary Alice, whose years of learnin' as a nurse was brought to bear; in the end, his little heart just give out on him.
Warn't nothin' to be done for it.

Mary Alice cried the bitterest tears of any of the womenfolk as Emmett and I bore Joseph's body away.

**WYiMA**

Izzy greeted us at the door. "It's done?" She asked me in a solemn whisper once Emmett had rounded the corner toward the girls' room.

I nodded and watched as she closed her eyes, a single tear escapin' and trailin' down her cheek.
"The little gals is doin' better, their fevers finally broke, thank the Lord." She said, lookin' up at me with weary eyes.

I breathed out a sigh of pure relief afore pullin' her against me, needin' her warmth. Izzy's little form relaxed into my embrace, and there we stood 'til my brother appeared again, the worry on his brow a might less than afore.

Izzy had us both set down and placed cups of strong coffee in our hands.

"Thank ya, Izzy." Emmett telled her as he grabbed ahold of her arm. "For everythin'."

I could tell that Izzy was close to breakin' down when she patted Emmett's hand with hers. "We's family, Emmett." She telled him with a tremblin' lip. "God knows that me and Ed love your young'uns like our own. I helped bring 'em into the world didn't I?"

Emmett nodded; his eyes showin' the depth of his sorrow.

And that was the moment that my gal finally succumbed to her grief.

I knowed she was recollectin' all the times she'd helped birth Rosa and Emmett's children, and how today, we'd had to bury one of 'em in the cold earth.

I stood and caught her afore she collapsed, and for the next little while held her on my lap, lettin' her sob into my neck.

I didn't notice my brother had gone 'til I looked over and found his chair sittin' empty.

"Ed," Mary Alice's soft voice drew my attention a short time later, "The girls are much better. Why don't ya take Izzy home so she can rest?"

Izzy stirred. "Mary Alice, I ain't leavin' ya here to do all the work."

"There isn't anything more to do, honey. I'm gonna sit with the girls while Rosa rests, then I'm going home as well."

***WYiMA***

It was late afternoon by the time we left Emmett's and crossed the fields which led to our house.

We'd just made our way past the pond when I noticed a figure comin' toward us. Fear clutched at my heart when I seen that it was our boy Jacob runnin' like his life depended on it. Soon as he reached me and his Mam, he stopped to catch his breath, "I was comin' to fetch ya."

"Son, what's happened?"

"It's Frederick. He's right poorly, Pap. His face has gone all red and his forehead's hot to the touch."

My whole body went rigid at the sound of them words. It was how the fever began with Emmett's young'uns, and I'd been dreadin' for days to hear that one of my own had been stricken.

I'd almost forgot 'bout my poor wife 'til I heared the low keenin' sound comin' from beside me. I turned toward Izzy and found her clutchin' at her throat. I was afeared that maybe she was gonna faint there on the spot and reached out for her.

My Izzy was always one to surprise me though. With my arm 'round her shoulders, I studied her face as she stood starin' in the direction of our home. In the span of two heartbeats, her look changed from frightened to stern, as she set her jaw like she was fixin' for a fight.

"Jacob, I want ya to go to your Uncle's. Miss Mary Alice is still there. I need ya to tell her what ya just telled your Pap and me. She'll know what to do."

"Yes, Mam." Jacob lit out across that field like a shot, just as Izzy grabbed hold of my arm. "Ed, we's gotta hurry."

When we reached the house, Izzy made quick work of gettin' Frederick put to bed, spongin' him down first to work against the fever. Within the hour, Peter was also showin' signs of the sickness.

We sent Sophie and Alexander back home. There warn't nothin' they could do at our house, and them two young'uns needed the comfort that only their own Ma and Pa could give 'em after sufferin' the loss of their little brother.

When Mary Alice arrived, she insisted that our Edward bundle up Molly and take her to her house.
"Mary Alice, what if she gets the fever? Your little gal's kept well so far and…"

"Izzy, if Bella gets the fever then it was meant to be." She give Izzy a long, hard look. "However, if Molly stays here, she is certain to catch it. My house is the only chance she has."

I swallowed down the lump in my throat as I watched Izzy throw her arms around her friend's neck. "Thank ya."

"No need to thank me, you would do the same."

Izzy give her a teary smile and nodded. "I would."

I kissed my baby girl goodbye afore she left with her brother, sayin' a prayer that she would continue to be spared.

We worked through the night, keepin' vigil mostly. When Mary Alice stood and began to sway on her feet, Izzy and me insisted that she go home and get some rest. She relented, knowin' that she warn't no good to anyone, the state she was in.

"I'll be back tomorrow." She declared afore gatherin' her things so's I could take her home.

"Mary Alice, ya got your own to care for." Izzy said in a weary tone.

"Izzy, I have a very understanding husband, and don't forget that I also have help. Carmina loves Bella as much as we do."

It was true.

There was no denyin' that the Whitlocks, although great friends to me and Emmett's families, was above us in social standin'. It was just the way of things.

They was well-off enough to afford servants to help with the runnin' of their home. Carmina had been with 'em since afore the birth of little Bella and all our young'uns thought the world of her.

"But now she's got the care of mine as well…"

"She loves Molly too, so stop frettin'." She give Izzy one last hug and followed me outside.

"Ed," she said once we arrived at her home and I helped her climb down from the wagon. "Keep a close eye on Peter. I don't worry so much about Frederick since he's bigger and stronger, but Peter will have a more difficult time."

I nodded; a little piece of my heart splinterin' and fallin' away at the thought of my boy not makin' it through this.

***WYiMA***

The days that followed turned out to be some of the hardest I'd ever endured in my near thirty-five years on this earth.

Watchin' my sons toss and turn as they fought agin an invisible evil that was hell bent on takin' 'em from us, almost did me in. Not to mention what it did to their Mam.

Frederick was the first to show signs of improvement, but neither me nor Izzy had time to celebrate on account a Peter takin' a turn for the worse.

If it hadn't been for Mary Alice, I knowed for certain and for sure we would have lost our son. When the fever spiked, and his body started in to shakin', she stripped off his clothes and had me lower him into a tub of lukewarm water.

By the time he was back in bed, the fire in his skin had lessened, and sometime durin' that night, the fever broke altogether.

"He's resting quietly now, the worst has passed," Mary Alice said, just as the first light of dawn showed itself over the horizon.

Some time later, my eyes was drawn away from the sight of my sleepin' children when Mary Alice sighed and drew a hand across her brow. "Unless ya need me, I believe I'll head on home now."

My brother, who'd stayed with us through the long night, rose from his chair. "I'll take ya, Mary Alice."

"I'd be much obliged, Emmett." Mary Alice answered afore turnin' back to me and Izzy. "These two boys are gonna need sleep more than anything else now. You should try and get some as well."

Izzy shook her head, "Ed will come to fetch Molly directly."

"Izzy, honey, let her stay with us for a few days. These here will need ya while they regain their strength."

Izzy's shoulders slumped, "Ya sure it ain't no trouble?"

Mary Alice give Izzy a weary smile. "Molly's an angel. She's no trouble at all, besides Bella loves having a playmate."

My gal smiled gratefully afore givin' her friend a fierce hug. "Thank ya kindly, Mary Alice. God's truth we'd be in a sorry state without ya."

I couldn't help but give Mary Alice a hug of my own, I was that grateful for the part she'd played in savin' my boys.

The tears come then, but they was happy ones.

"Get some rest," Mary Alice directed afore turnin' toward the door.

Emmett wrapped his arms round both me and Izzy afore settin' out.

My head was swimmin' with the memory of havin' to bury little Joseph just a few days afore, but I knowed there warn't nothin' I could say to ease my brother's heartache...

Who could reason out why the Lord seen fit to take one and spare another?

Izzy's faith had always been stronger than mine, but in the years since we'd wed, she'd taught me to put my trust in the Almighty. It was all I could do now.

***WYiMA***

Sometime later, with Mary Alice's words still ringin' in my ears, I collapsed onto our bed.

The gal I married, stubborn as always, had refused to join me, and I found that I was too wore out to argue with her.

Frederick and Peter was still sleepin' when I awoke sometime later to find Izzy dozin' in a chair beside their bed.

I didn't have the heart to lose my temper when I seen that Young Jack had crawled between my boys, and was fast asleep, close by Peter's side.

That dog had a fierce attachment to my young'uns, 'specially Peter. It put me in mind of the great affection that his granddaddy Old Jack always held for Izzy.

I sighed thinkin' 'bout that old mutt. We couldn't have asked for a more loyal friend. He'd seen us through the good times and the bad. It had been more than two years since his passin' and my heart still bore the weight of it.

"Ed?" Izzy murmured as I lifted her from the chair.

"I'm here, sweet girl." I whispered against her hair. "I'm just puttin' ya to bed."

Izzy was as weak as a newborn kitten, but still tried to struggle in my arms. "I wanna be here when they wake."

"Ya need a proper sleep, darlin'. I'll set a spell with the boys and the minute they stir, I'll come fetch ya."

She breathed in deep and closed her eyes; her will losin' the battle over her tired body.

***WYiMA***

By the look of things, I knowed there'd be no leavin' the house for the rest of the day. As much as my fields needed tendin', Izzy and my young'uns had to come first.

Always.

Theo and my eldest boys, God bless 'em, had been handlin' a fair portion of my chores for the last few days, just as Jasper had been doin' for Emmett.

So, despite the many hardships, the Almighty had also provided family and friends to help ease our way.

Maybe my Ma had been right after all…

***WYiMA***

Frederick was the first to open his eyes. "Pap?" His voice was low and sounded a might rough from bein' silent for so long.

I stood from the chair and was at his side in the blink of an eye, not able to hold back the joyful tears at the sound of my name on his lips. "I'm here, my boy." I telled him while brushin' the wayward hair off his forehead.

After a sip of water, he started in to talkin' a little, his mind seemed right muddled 'bout what all had happened.

"I was havin' some fearful dreams, Pap." He was silent for a time afore speakin' again. "Did we, I mean, did Joe really die, or was I dreamin' it?"

I wished I coulda given any answer other than the truth, but a lie warn't gonna serve no purpose in the long run.

"Sorry to say it, son. That warn't a dream. Joseph's gone to heaven." I whispered the words, "Ya took sick just after the funeral."

At nine years old, my Frederick was always tryin' hard to prove he was a man. His favorite pastime was followin' his older brothers and cousin around, pretendin' and wishin' he was just a might older than he truly was.

But at that moment, my brave boy held the look of a small lost child. He wept into his pillow while I rubbed soothin' circles on his back. "I didn't want it to be true, Pap."

"I know."

When he turned over to find his little brother lyin' beside him, still in a deep sleep, he stopped cryin'. "Pap, is Peter ailin'?"

"He was."

Frederick sniffled. "He ain't gonna die too, is he?"

"No, Frederick. The danger's past."

My boy took a deep breath. "He's gonna take the news 'bout Joe hard."

I nodded, wonderin' how much Peter would remember. Bein' three years younger than Frederick, I doubted he'd recollect much; even the passin' of his best friend, 'cause that's what Joseph was to him.

Seemed like from the time Joseph learned to walk, him and Peter was always together. Durin' daylight hours, ya was hard pressed to see one without findin' the other close by. It amused my brother so much that he'd taken to callin' 'em 'Pete' and 'Repeat' instead a their proper names.

My heart started in to hurtin' all over again at the memory.

"I gotta get your Mam. I promised to wake her when ya opened your eyes."

The happy smile on Izzy's face as she wrapped her arms 'round our son, was only comparable to the smile she bore the day that he took his first breath. She was fair glowin' despite the weariness she must have felt.

Hours later, when Peter opened his eyes and smiled at her, Izzy's joy was complete.

***WYiMA***

Peter only stayed awake long enough for his Mam to coax a few sips of water in him afore he lay back and closed his eyes again. Part of me was thankful that he didn't ask no questions 'bout Joseph.

When I lay down for the night soon after, I couldn't shake the feel of bein' ill at ease.

A noise caused me to stir. I lay awake just listenin', 'til I realized I could hear movement comin' from Frederick and Peter's bedroom. Izzy was already climbin' from our bed afore I'd had the chance to sit up.

Frederick, bein' almost as stubborn as his mam, refused the pot, and was tryin' to make his way outside to the privy. After helpin' him, I practically had to carry him back to the room, where I found Izzy frettin' over Peter, who was awake and sittin' up in bed.

When I come through the door, two sets of big brown eyes turned to me in a panic. "Ed," Izzy gasped, "look here, we may need to call on that no-count doctor."

I looked where she was pointin' and seened the bloody discharge that had come from my son's ears while he slept. I made sure to school my expression so as not to frighten him any more than he already was.

"Son, are ya in pain?"

I asked the question, but Peter didn't answer, he just kept starin' at me.

When his Mam said his name, he never turned to look at her. She said it again and again, each time the panic soundin' a little louder in her voice.

"Son, answer your Mam." I telled him quietly, knowin' it weren't no use.

"Pap," he said the word, but it come out soundin' strange.

Izzy placed her hands on either side of his face and turned him to look at her.

"Can ya hear me Peter?" She choked out as her eyes filled with tears.

As soon as he seen his Mam's tears, Peter's lip started to quiver.

"What wrong with Peter?" Frederick asked.

Izzy pulled Peter against her and begun swayin' back and forth. "He cain't hear, Frederick. The fever's done took his hearin'."

***WYiMA***

"Well, your boy's deaf. Nothin' to be done about it." The doc said the words I was dreadin' to hear as he packed his tools back in the bag.

"What ya mean there's nothin' to be done?" I asked, some of the desperation I was feelin', soundin' in my words.

"Exactly as I said. You can take him to a specialist, but you'll most likely find that the damage is irreversible." He quirked an eyebrow in a manner that made my fist itch to meet his jaw. "Maybe if you weren't so mule-headed and had let me treat the boy, circumstances would be different now…"

"He'd be dead 'cause ya woulda bled him, like ya did Joseph," Izzy's temper flared as she spoke the words. "If'n my brother-in-law had tossed ya out sooner, mayhap that young'un would still be with us…"

"And maybe he'd be in the state your boy is in, or worse. Sometimes, not surviving is a blessing in disguise." He cast a narrowed eye in the direction of my son, "I believe you will come to understand that soon enough."

I couldn't help but grab the sumbitch by the front of his shirt and pull him with no small amount of force down the hall. Once at the front door, I opened it and tossed him out on the porch. "Get the hell outta my house."

"How dare you?" He muttered whilst straightenin' his clothes.

"Dare? Ya dare say that it would be better if'n I'd lost my boy?" I spat out the words. "Ya dare say that, and don't expect me to toss ya out on your ass? Ya's lucky I ain't bloodied your lip for ya as well."

"There's still the matter of my payment." The doc said in a right surly tone.

"I'll get your money." I went and fetched two dollars from the old china teapot that belonged to Izzy's mother and threw them at the no-count, afore slammin' the door in his face.

I felt Izzy's little hand slip into mine as I stood watchin' from the window 'til the fool and his buggy was out of sight.

"What we gonna do, Ed?"

"We find a specialist, darlin'." I turned to face her, placin' my hand against the side of her face. "If'n there's naught to be done then we bear it, and we get up every mornin' thankin' the Lord for his many mercies."

**************A/N*************
A/N Hope you're still with me.
This first part was written months ago, but I was just recently able to add the rest to it. The emotions are so different for parts 2 and 3, that I found it not only aesthetically pleasing to separate them, but necessary for the flow of the story.
Parts 2 and 3 promise to be less sad; although it wouldn't be realistic to pretend that life was always easy in those days, and for a child to grow to adulthood was something to be cherished. Not saying that it isn't today, however, I think we take a lot of things for granted that our ancestors did not.

No comments:

Post a Comment