I was relieved when I seened Miss Sally walk out the room. I turned back to Jake and gave him the dirtiest look I could muster. "Have not. But it ain't for lack of tryin' on her part. I confess that I almost did partake once or twice, but sobered up afore I did anythin' I'd regret. I mean, Miss Sally is a sweet lady and all, but there's no tellin' how many fellers she's laid with and, I'm not gonna lie Jake, I had visions of my Ma comin' back from the grave to whoop my ass."
Jake laughed loudly again afore finishin' his beer and walkin' to the bar to fetch two more.
Once he sat down again, his questionin' continued. "And ya never diddled no other gals durin' the war?" It was a mercy that I was leavin', 'cause my fist was itchin' to connect with his face.
"Did ya miss the part where I telled ya I was sweet on someone, ya jackass?"
"Oh, yeah." He grinned. "So Eddie ain't never dipped his wick…" I knowed for sure and for certain that he was tryin' to get a rise outta me now.
"Shut yer damn mouth, or I'm gonna shut it for ya." I threatened. "Ain't no call for ya to act all smug, 'cause I know ya ain't done nothin' neither."
Everyone in town knowed that Jake only had eyes for Renie Cook since the time he was old enough to start wearin' long pants. He'd telled me afore, that as soon as he turned eighteen, he was gonna be askin' for her hand.
I'd miss the weddin', 'cause by then I'd be in Texas.
Jake laughed again, and our talk turned to more pleasant things afore I stood to say goodbye.
No comments:
Post a Comment